07 October 2008

Assorted jams & jellies


This fall I made good on the threat I made last year to my boyfriend to go all bad-ass-pioneer-woman and start canning things. We moved into the house we currently rent in February and I watched all spring as the seemingly dead vine that grew all over a good third of the backyard started sprouting some very grape-y looking leaves. I was hoping to make wine, but it turned out to be concord grapes. I made about a million jars of grape jelly (the middle jar) and it was so surprisingly easy that I wanted to can more things!

The top jar is a spiced pear jam, but I think it's a bit too sweet. The bottom jar is sugar-less aplpe butter from a recipe that afoolsays posted on the PPK forums. I hope she doesn't mind me reposting it here, because it is delicious!



Apple Butter


Preparation time: 2 1/4 hours including baking time

3 lbs cooking apples
1 c pitted prunes
3 c apple cider
1 t cinnamon
1 t allspice
2 t ground cloves (I used fewer cloes, about 1 1/4 tsp)


Peel, quarter and core apples and put them, with the prunes and cider, in a kettle and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 20 to 25 minutes, or until soft. Preheat oven to 300° F. Put fruit and cider mixture in a food processor, add spices and puree the mixture. Pour into a shallow 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Spread mixture out evenly and bake in the center of the oven for about 1 hour. During baking, scrape sides and stir occasionally.

To test for doneness, dab a spoonful of apple butter on a saucer and turn the saucer upside down: Apple butter should be thick enough to stick to the saucer. Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Seal with new lids and rings, and process in a boiling water bath at least 5 minutes. Yields about 2 pints.

3 comments:

donesmoking said...

spiced pear jam?
that sounds so good! where did u find the recipe?

C said...

I used this recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/116767

There's lots to be found if you search google!

Bethany said...

concord grape jelly is my favorite kind of jam. such a classic.

funny thing is that I'm watching dirty jobs and he's making jam. sort of a cool show.