02 October 2008

Veganmofo unfortunately coincides not only with fall and Thanksgiving and crisp a and other nice things, but also with the start of cold and flu season. Yesterday I was too beat to cook and kicked off Veganmofo by eating left-over lasagna from the freezer and falling asleep on the couch, but today I got around to the project I meant to do.

The only family recipe that I've missed since going veg*n was the Thanksgiving/Christmas stuffing. My mum always made a simple bread and sausage stuffing and I've tried and failed to duplicate it on just about every holiday. The closest I've gotten is the Bread Stuffing recipe from Bryanna Clark Grogan's The (Almost) No-Fat Cookbook (but I make mine with lots of fat).

I tried again tonight, with fresh herbs from the garden (rosemary, sage, thyme and parsley), sauteed mushrooms, celery, onion and what I was hoping would be the magic ingredient: fresh fennel. Something is still missing and I can't put my finger on it. Savory? More of one herb? Less of another?

Until I figure it out, I deem it a work in progress, unworthy to serve my parents for Thanksgiving dinner. So I'm in search of another stuffing recipe, or any other bread or grain dish, to fill the void on the dinner table.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

it's fun to have work in progress recipes that only get touched a couple times per year. I don't even know my total count going right now.